Is your home one of the 89.3 percent of households in the U.S with what is considered to be hard water? Are you suffering the effects of hard water in your home but are unaware of it? Hard water is responsible for a lot of minor and major problems in the home. Without knowing it, you are probably spending a lot of money on repairs because of the damage to components in your home. To determine if hard water causes some of the faults you are witnessing, you first need to determine what it is.
What is Hard Water?
Hard water contains a many of dissolved minerals in it. All water has some form of dissolved minerals because, well, water is magnificent at dissolving things. However, Harden water contains more than the average level of dissolved minerals and the effect on home appliances can be very damaging.
Some of the dissolved minerals that can be found in water include calcium and magnesium, but there could also be several other chemicals contained in the water which is harmful to the home. It is truly possible that you could be suffering the effects in your home, but unless you know what those effects are, you cannot do anything about it.
Effects of Hard Water on Your Home
Most people do not know that they have problem water running through their home until they begin experiencing the effects. Some of these effects include:
1. Clogging of pipes: This is usually as a result of deposits left by hard water in the pipes; these deposits are called ‘scum, ‘ and they clog pipes. Scum is a whitish color and is produced when the tubes heat up. This causes many problems in the flow of water into a home
2. Formation of scuds: This is what happens when soap does not lather and instead produces a white precipitate known as scud.
3. Perpetual Stains: Stains on your pots and pans, appliances, and sinks from the dissolved minerals and chemicals. These stains could also be on the tiles in your home and the baths.
4. Damage to appliances: More specifically, to heating devices such as water heaters and dishwashers. The deposits of scale in these machines shorten their life span. Another effect is your dishwasher leaving the white film on your cleaned dishes.
5. Affects Personal Hygiene: after a bath, it ‘s hard to feel clean as there is a soapy film which remains on the skin. This leaves the skin feeling dry. The effects are not only just limited to your skin but also the hair. The filmy residue makes the hair look dull and feel limp. Your clothes are not left out either as the lifespan of clothes is significantly reduced with repeated washing.
6. Higher Utility Bills: Scale does not conduct electricity well which means that more energy is needed to heat water, which in turn results in increased utility bills.
Without a doubt, hard water can increase the stress of performing simple household tasks. It is important to know that as problematic as it is, it is not a health hazard. Moreover, it can be treated. If you are plagued with hard water in your home, there are ways that it can be treated or managed to make life easier for you and you home.